Monday, March 25, 2013

March On

Fashion fever has finally faded in Melbourne as the L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival drew to a close last week.

If you've read my last few posts, you'll know that I was lucky enough to attend a few of the events. Obviously I haven't had the luxury of attending multiple fashion weeks around the world, but I love LMFF largely for its accessibility and proximity. So often fashion can be so involved with itself that it forgets that the public and the consumers are actually some of the most important people in the industry. LMFF celebrates that - with runways and seminars that anyone can buy tickets to, as well as a huge range of free pop-up and cultural events all over the city.



My mum and I have been going every year since we moved to Melbourne from London (coming up to five years now!) and it's something that I really look forward to doing. We've been to a range of runways, presented by Vogue, Instyle, Grazia and this year Madison. There's always a fantastic atmosphere and a luxurious feel to the evening and this year was no different. We went to the later show, which meant we missed the opportunity for beautiful sunset photos over the docklands but did enjoy some champagne in the Woolshed Pub. I'm yet to see a runway show in which all the clothes bowl me over, but i love the atmosphere and excitement associated with seeing a catwalk show live, as it's something you normally associate with VIP and exclusivity.

The Madison show had an impressive line-up of models including Alice Burdeu, Cassie van den Dungen and Rachel Rutt modelling the collections of designers Megan Park, Flannel, Alannah Hill, Hardwick, Jayson Brunsdon, Aurelio Costarella and Kirrily Johnston.

My favourite would probably have to be Hardwick, who I hadn't heard of before but I thought their collection to be extremely wearable - with lots of sheer, black and lace. Alannah Hill too had some gorgeous coats in bright colours, but looked similar to ones I've already soon before. I'm a massive fan of playsuits (current count is at least 6 in my wardrobe) so I enjoyed the silk brocade jumpsuits from Jayson Brunsdon as well.


Alice Burdeu in Hardwick

Jayson Brunsdon

Cassi van den Dungen in Jayson Brunsdon
All photography from LMFF official photographer Lucas Dawson

Not the best photo (mum photography!) but what I wore to the Madison show. I went for a blue silk floral patterned shorts and peplum top, white Zara jacket, black tights and heels, salmon clutch, bright accessories and a cheeky Topshop lipstick in 'Brighton Rock'.


My write up of the High Fashion High Tea is also now up online on Onya Magazine, which I hope you'll have a read of...the food was absolutely to die for and has affirmed that afternoon tea is most certainly back on the menu!

High Fashion High Tea - LMFF event

I also covered the 2013 LMFF National Designers Award for a university assignment and was lucky enough to interview two finalists (and hugely talented designers!) Livia Arena and Michael Lo Sordo. I was only able to use a few quotes in my assignment but found them both so interesting to talk to that I will hopefully write up a profile of them here for you to enjoy... stay tuned!

Brittany x

No comments:

Post a Comment