Thursday, February 14, 2013

Halcyon Future

I thought, before I properly introduce myself, I'd explain a bit about 'Halcyon Future'

I'm a bibliophile. I love books and words and would gladly spend all my money on beautifully illustrated hard-back books about words if I could.

I've always liked the word Halcyon. It sounds part scientific, part poetic - a beautiful juxtaposition of creativity and logic. 

According to the Oxford Dictionary;

Definition of halcyon

adjective - denoting a period of time in the past that was idyllically happy and peaceful:


noun - a mythical bird said by ancient writers to breed in a nest floating at sea at the winter solstice, charming the wind and waves into calm.



Besides the romantic idea of the mythical bird, to me Halcyon is all about looking into the past with rose-tinted glasses. Fashion does this a lot of the time - using past trends, social and cultural events as inspiration. But it's all about living in the now - reminiscing about but not living stuck in the past. To pull it off successfully, we need elements of modernity. Which is where the 'Future' part comes in - combining the best of the past and the ideas of the future (in style and fashion) resulting in hopefully something that is unique and exciting.

B x

No comments:

Post a Comment